Cricket Score update - live cricket update

Cricket Score IPL 4 Points Table 2011

Cricket Update BookMark

Share/Save/Bookmark

Get Flash to see this player.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Mahela Jayawardene Resigned As a Captain | Sri Lanka Vs Pakistan

Mahela Jayawardene

Sri Lanka the most successful Skipper announced that that he would be step down as Sri Lanka captain after the forthcoming Test series with Pakistan.

Jayawardene called for a meeting with the national selectors on Wednesday Jayawardene said that "In the best interests of the Sri Lanka team, I have decided to stand down as Sri Lanka captain after this Pakistan tour," "I look forward now to extending my full support to my successor and hope to play a major part in the team's success during coming years as a batsman," he further said.

Mahela Jayawardene was appointed captain in February, 2006. During his three-year tenure he led Sri Lanka in 26 Test matches and 97 ODIs. He had a win ratio in Tests of 62.50 per cent, the highest for any Sri Lanka captain in history, and a win ratio of 57 per cent in ODIs. As captain he averaged 64.70 in Tests, scoring 11 centuries in the last three years and 34.22 in ODIs.

"This is something I have been considering for some time as it has been my long-held belief that my successor should have at least 18 months in the job to imprint his vision on the team for the 2011 World Cup. After much thought, I have concluded that the right time has now come for fresh leadership to takeover."

No comments: